Saturday, September 17, 2011

Eatin well and livin good!

Its amazing what an effect a well eating baby has on her parents.  Now that Reagan is eating aggressively, both Larry and I have been able to breathe a little easier.  She is taking her bottle in around 15 minutes and is getting better each time we breastfeed.  She makes the most adorable face when she is breastfeeding...its hard to describe, but its a mixture of shock, confusion and excitement.  Her eyes get really big and its like she's thinking "Whaaaattt?!?!? Milk comes from my mom!?!"  She's eating so well that she is back up to her birth weight! 

Larry has been back at work for a week now, and we really miss him!  He has been spending the night at home to hang with our animals and get a good night's sleep.  His job is one that could be really dangerous for patients if he isn't well rested.  He does make it to her 8am and 8pm bottle feedings and for whatever reason Reagan always eats faster for him than me.  I think she's trying to impress her dad.  Let the finger wrapping begin!

I'm living at the hospital which makes seeing Reagan and taking care of her so much easier than if I were at home.  The nurses say that most NICU moms stay home and come twice a day.  I can certainly understand how that would be necessary for some, but I'm so thankful our hospital has the option for me to be with her.  I don't want to miss one thing just because she's a NICU baby.  I'll never get these first few days back and I'm glad I don't have to miss them!

Our schedule is becoming more routine.  My life is broken up in 3 hour increments which makes the days fly by!  We are in such a good rhythm that I will be returning to work on Monday.  This is absolutely ideal as:
  • I can only watch so much HGTV
  • Reagan is completely stable.  We are just waiting for her to grow.
  • My work is in the same building where I'm staying, so I can come and go as I please and work very flexible hours.
  • It saves some of my 12 week FMLA time, which comes into play with keeping our insurance while allowing me to stay out till after the 1st of the year.
  • It allows me to somewhat train the people filling in for me when I'm out and wrap up all the things I wanted to do before I left.
  • My doctor is 100% in agreement with my decision!


I'm trying to learn as much as I can about caring for a preemie.  Larry and I have come to the decision that daycare for her first year of life in not an ideal option.  So, please be in prayer with us about finding the right person or people to come to our house and take care of our sweet angel.

Reagan has gained some new roommates in the NICU and is by far the most stable.  It has been really eye opening to how blessed we are that Reagan waited as long as she did to get here.  We are so thankful for her progress and thankful for all the love and support you all have given us.  We are truly blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment