Friday, September 23, 2011

2 Weeks Old!

Happy 2 week birthday Reagan!

I can't believe we have been in the hospital for 2 weeks already.  The time has flown by and I can see why people say that your NICU experience seems like a flash when you look back on it.  I've gotten the chance to talk to some past NICU moms which has been absolutely awesome.  There are so many thoughts and feelings that you have to go through and process and it has been such a blessing to know what we've been going through is completely normal. 

This has been a really exciting week as far as her progress.  The biggest thing is that she is out of the incubator!  This makes it so much easier to hold her and love on her.  Reagan has been maintaining her temperature well and gaining weight daily.  She is up to 4 lbs 9oz and growing!  Right now the only thing keeping her in the NICU is her breathing issues.  I discussed in length with the doctors about her issues and as frustrating as it is, they really don't know what's causing it.  Her other neurological function is so advanced it isn't likely that its 100% apnea of prematurity and it also happens at random times when she is sleeping so it isn't likely that its 100% reflux issues.  We are praying for wisdom and guidance for the physicians and nurses taking care of Reagan.  We also ask for whatever is causing her apnea episodes to be healed so we can take our precious baby home!

Her eating is going fantastically.  So well that we got to remove her feeding tube and I got to see her beautiful face without any tubes.  It doesn't guarantee we won't have to put the tube back in, but we are letting her eat without the tube in case that is causing some of the reflux/apnea issues.


We gave her another bath the other night and she enjoyed it so much more than the first time.  She was wiggling and squirming, loving the attention and the warm water!  She was definitely cracking her mom and dad up...she makes the most adorable faces!

She lost her umbilical cord this week.  They asked me if I wanted to keep it and I politely declined. =)   
I've been back at work for almost a week now and it is not easy. I'm training the people filling in for me while I'll be on maternity leave and finishing up any administration duties I have going on now.  This allows me to be even more flexible and available to take care of Reagan.  I don't think I've longed for the weekend more in my life.  My days end up being really long because I have to break to take care of Reagan.  I wouldn't have it any other way though.  The fact that I get to be with her around the clock is such a tremendous blessing.  I have learned that staying at the hospital is not an option at most hospitals and we are really blessed to be at an institution that allows that.

I do sleep through her 2 am feeding so after I finish taking care of her by 12:30 or so I get to sleep until 4:45.  That's 1 REM cycle! =)  Better than 0 REM cycles! =)

As challenging as it is, these have been the best 2 weeks of our life!  We are so obsessed with this child and fall more and more in love with her every day.



3 comments:

  1. I would be too Rachel!! (obsessed).. She is too precious.Prayers that she will get to go home soon and that their would be no reflux. I love her hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is precious. We miss you at MNG but know that we think of you often and lift Reagan up in prayer weekly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for Baby Skippy every day. Stay strong! If she's anything like her mommy, she'll be kickin' butt in no time! Remember when I first met you, and Cactus gave you a bloody nose!? That's the kind of girl Reagan is going to be!

    ReplyDelete