Friday, December 3, 2010

I Dream of Africa

Looking back on our recent trip to Africa, I am daunted by the task of somehow putting into words all of the amazing things we saw and experienced.  So if you bear with me I'm going to try to accomplish this a little at a time.

I'll never forget the night that Bekki told Sara and I that her and Alan were leaving the U.S.  We were at Sara's parents farm when Bekki dropped the bomb on us.  As happy as I was that she and Alan were FINALLY going to live in the same place I was so sorry to see her go.  The Lord has definitely worked in my life through Bekki.  She has taught me so much and inspired me in so many ways.  She is always encouraging me in my marriage, my walk with Christ, and my running workouts! 
Larry and I knew immediately that we were going to do anything we could to go visit them, so the dream of Africa began....


After a lot of planning and prayer the day finally came to travel 22 hours, 2 layovers, 3 security checks, 2 customs departments....in Africa....no sweat right????  Wrong!  I was sweating this one...big time.  One, Larry and I have been known to miss a flight or two, and with the way that the plane schedule is, a missed flight is an almost 3 day delay.  Two, life in Pemba doesn't provide for Netflix, taco seasoning, and many of the "conveniences" of life in the USA so Bekki's parents loaded us up with as much as we could carry over to their children.  We had precious cargo, plus a last minute surround sound entertainment system that can not be checked due to the pesky fact that anything of value seems to disappear at the Johannesburg airport.  Third, Bekki has an extremely busy vet practice and she was in need of some pharmaceutical support, so my mom scrambled to get as much medication and supplies and we were set. 

I think this was best summed up by my friend Marty, " I can see them now... so you're tellin me you're a PHARRRRmacist taking drrrrrugs to a veterinarian in AFFFrica.... oh sure, walk right through ma'am."

Lucky for us the security leaving the US is WAAAYYYY easier than coming back.  So although we got a few odd looks, when I referred to the medication in the South African customs office as "drugs" and for Bekki's bicycle tool, we made it through relatively unscathed.

So in the matter of a few days we went from here
College Station, TX : College Station (Texas Ave @ New Main)

to a final destination here

but first Bekki and Alan met is in Maputo, Mozambique for an extended layover to drive to Kruger National Park and we stayed in this gorgeous place



where we sat on the veranda, had a few cocktails and planned our trip to Kruger the next day.  It was here our African adventure began!

To be continued..............

I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
Psalm 119:63


1 comment:

  1. I love you, I miss you! I can't wait for you guys to come back! There is SO much more to do! =)

    ReplyDelete