Monday, September 20, 2010

Now forming at the north end of Kyle Field

This past weekend brought an extra special treat.  My dad got a very rare weekend off and decided to head up from the swamplands of Matagorda county to beautiful and noticeably drier College Station to join me watch the Aggs BTHO FIU.  We soon found out that we would not be watching the game as mere mortals in the stands or even in the coveted alumni section.  We would be rubbing elbows with a few high ranking, but very down to earth old Aggs in the comforts of a suite!  I want to assure those who know me particularly well that I refrained from giving the guy on the board of regents my two cents on the direction of the university... although the thought crossed my mind...twice.

Anyway, we met up with my good friend Vicki, who was responsible for making these prized seats available and headed for Kyle Field.  So there we are, walking in a sea of maroon and white headed toward the battle field, with one exception: a long haired motorcycle type wearing a black west coast chopper cutoff t-shirt, ripped blue jeans and boots.  An outfit that would make Poison and Dwight Yokum equally proud.  Well that guy happens to be my dad and we are in Aggieland, home to the Corp of Cadets and the crew cut, so needless to say he stood out.

First of all let me tell you how amazingly proud of him I am.  He embodies marching to one's own drum and I believe takes particular delight in knowing that LAST thing you would ever think he did for a living is a surgeon.  He's an awesome doctor, the kind that you would want if you were ever sick because you know he's 100% dedicated to his patients.  Because of that fact, he NEVER takes time off of work.  I can't imagine working 24/7 365, but he does it.
I think he said about 10 times how relaxed he felt on his weekend off.  Yeah Dad, its called sleep...try it....its amazing!

Well those old Aggs didn't even bat an eye as we walked in.  They warmly welcomed us, put food in one hand and a drink in the other....I could get used to this.
Reveille stopped by!

I'm going to intentionally not speak about the game....it was terrible!  Somehow we pulled out a win, but it was not pretty....come on Aggies!

Well we always win at halftime...
Now forming at the north end of Kyle Field, the nationally famous Fightin' Texas Aggie Band!

Whoop!

If you are wondering where Larry is in all of this, he was finishing off his week to work.  I'm so proud of him and how hard he works at making a good living for our family.  Hopefully he'll get to enjoy this next week off.  I'm thinkin there is going to be some sort of hunting involved. 

We topped off an awesome weekend by making a quick trip to Austin to see Trevor for lunch and watch the equally dissapointing Cowboys game. 

I wish I had pictures of all the characters we saw in Austin.  Keep Austin Weird, Keep College Station Normal.

P.S. That's Trevor's new car in the backgroud....its so nice!

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children – Psalm 103:17

1 comment:

  1. Come back to ATX and CALL ME! The wierdness grows on you. Kinda like moss. Or mold ;) I'll have you using salt crystal deoderant and patchouli oil in no time. I literally have a lady that roller skates through my clinic. It's AWESOME. (Envision this: rainbow laces, hot pink sports bra, TINY bike shorts, elbow and knee pads. Go GET IT gurl.) Great writing sister. XO

    ReplyDelete